August 30 (17 on old style) in 1829 in Moscow was founded one of the most famous stone Triumphal arches . This arch was supposed to replace wood, built at the Tverskaya Zastava in 1814 for the solemn meeting with the victorious Russian troops returning from Western Europe. Designed a new stone arch of the largest Russian architect Osip Ivanovich Bove.
This triumphal arch stood for 102 years, until in 1936 was not taken the decision to expand the square at the Belarus station where she stood. The famous building was demolished and its rich sculptural fragments deposited in a branch of the Architectural Museum. But in 1966, the Moscow authorities decided to restore the triumphal arch. Worked on a project with experienced sculptors, restorers, craftsmen in artistic casting and minting. 6 November 1968 a remarkable creation of Bove received a second life. But now the famous triumphal arch stands on Victory square, Poklonnaya mountain, forming with the Museum-panorama “battle of Borodino”, the “Kutuzovskaya izba” and other monuments of a single historical-memorial complex. Continue reading