The Old town square
Old town square is one of the oldest and most remarkable squares in Prague. It is irregular in shape and surrounded by charming buildings. Most of them belongs to the middle ages and were updated in the periods of the late Renaissance or Baroque. Often they were founded in the Romanesque period. First and part second floor are stored in the cellars of the buildings of the late Gothic period. Historians say that in the square and around it there are about 60 buildings, that goes back to the Romanesque period. In spite of their exceptional age, their stone walls are very well preserved. On the West side of the square stands the house of the early Gothic period, which was the school for You. Through this house is a passage to the monumental temple on the Walls. In the basement of the house has been preserved Romanesque building. It dates from the XIII century and has alcoves, typical of the Gothic buildings of the period. In the Renaissance period were added arched Gables Venetian type. Near this house is a corner house “At the stone bell”, the most attractive Gothic building in Prague with a beautiful facade. Another example of late Gothic building on the Romanesque Foundation of the house “At the Golden unicorn”.
On the corner of Paris street stands the Church of St. Nicholas. Initially it belonged to the Slovak monastic organobentonites, in the XVIII century some time — the Russian Orthodox Church. From this period remains a chandelier in the shape of a Royal crown. She currently uses the Czech Hussite Church. In the XVIII century the Church some time served as a circus. In 1791 there were the Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard, swim in its time the English channel. The Church building of the Baroque period was a project of Kilian Ignaz of Dienzenhofer. Ornamental decorations made by Bernard Benetti, murals painted by Cosmas Damian Assam. On the Western side of the so-called lesser town square is an ancient fountain with iron bars of the Renaissance period.
The square is dominated by the high tower of Old city Hall, with a magnificent astronomical clock Orla. On the East wall hangs a plaque with the names of 27 of the leaders of the revolution against the Habsburg dynasty. Crosses in the pavement mark the places where they were executed. Jan HUS monument in the center of the square reminds us of another historical event. Jan HUS was burned in 1415 by the Synod in Konstanz for his open criticism of the Church’s activities, especially the distribution of indulgences.